Through the different parish youth groups, the youth department of the PCM has the mission of empowering the youth of the Presbyterian parishes of Mauritius (parishes of Phoenix, Rose-Hill, Port-Louis, Pointe aux Piments, Grand Gaube and the Malagasy Chaplaincy ). The main office of the youth department is with the secretariat of the PCM.
The youth department has at heart to take care of the needs of young people as far as possible, to encourage initiatives of Christian reflection and action as well as to empower of them and enhance their ability to live in community. The youth department works in so far with young people both individually and in groups. The department works according to the frameworks set by the Synode.
- * The harmonious personal development of young people on spiritual, intellectual and physical levels.
- * Encourage the youth to take responsibility.
- * Provide adequate space for coordination between the children’s department and the youth department.
- * Offer various activities (spiritual, recreational, sports, themed, ...) and training that meet different needs and thus reach a maximum of young people.
- * Raise awareness and inform young people of the various social and humanitarian actions of the church.
- * Maintain relations with the various international partners of the PCM, eg CEVAA, DM-Échange et Mission etc. and with the youth departments of other churches in Mauritius.
The youth department is under the aegis of the parishes’ councils , themselves represented by the Presbyterial Committee.
The Presbyterial Committee actually hires a team of professionals made up of a youth chaplain and a youth coordinator.
The youth department works under the following framework:
6) - 10) Resource people for the five parishes of the EPM
The youth department is made up of at least 10 members. The Presbyterial Committee authorizes the department to choose its members. Members are at least 17 years old, committed and active in their Christian faith and available for departmental and PCM activities. They have a passion for Christ and youth.
The members of the department work as a team, in collaboration with the different parishes. They coordinate the youth activities at parish, national and international levels. They are asked to participate in monthly meetings, as well as in department activities. They commit to a mandate of a minimum of 2 years.